Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Zach's first day of 1st Grade!!!

Well...Zach is officially a 1st grader! And what a big 1st grader he is! His first day was Monday, and he did way better than me. He had no hesitation at all. He knew exactly where to go and we followed him to his class. He walked right in, put his backpack away, and sat down at his desk. I just watched him in amazement as he began his work that was laid out on his desk. He knew just what to do.

I don't know if I was sad or proud that he didn't shed a tear at the thought of me leaving. It was a very mixed feeling. I was a little somber at the thought that my baby seemed so grown up, but I think I was more proud. Josh and I both were.

I lingered for a few minutes, just sure that Zach would call out to me...but he didn't. I took picture after picture trying to stall....but nothing fazed him. He was a big boy now. As I made my way out the door...he simply waved. Then...he mouthed to me "I love you". And that's when I turned around...to hide my tears. Happy tears...I think. Does this get any easier?

Here are some pictures of our big boy's, big day...








I think the thing that scares me the most is that for 7 hours a day, he will be in the care of someone else. I hope and pray that he is loved by his teachers. I hope and pray that he is accepted and loved for who he is. I hope that his teachers see his special spirit, his humor, and his heart. He loves to make people laugh...and sometimes that can get him in trouble. I hope that I can learn to let go a little more in the future. I hope I can...I think I will....but I'm not promising a thing! :)

But for now....Yay, Zach! We're proud of you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Zach
We can`t believe how you`ve grown up....so suddenly!!!! You make us so proud of you!!!
Myta, don`t worry a thing! The teachers have no other way but to love him!!! And, yes, believe me, he`ll be fine those 7 hours w/o you; and sooner or later, you`ll get use to it.
Love you all
Poppy

Didi said...

What a big boy! First grade-wow! I can't imagine what you are going through. I'm having anxiety about taking Clare to school and I've only been with her for 8 weeks--not 6 years! It's just so hard either way...whether you put them in school or stay home with them...and pros and cons to both. Oh well, part of mommyhood, right? That's great that you like the teachers and school and I'm sure he will have a great year!

Dawn said...

What a loved little boy! He'll do just fine. Sounds like he's very ready! :)

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed talking on the phone with You and your Mom and Dad about your first day of 1st grade. It sounded like you had no hesitation about where to go and what to do. I know it was a very exciting day for you all. It sure was for Nana and Papa! You're a BIG BOY NOW! We are so very proud of you, and so THANKFUL to be able to share in these special moments.

LOVE,